Thursday, September 15, 2011

Introducing Pork Chop

Jonathan David
Born 7/30/11
7 pounds 7.5 ounces
20.5 inches

Hospital photo
For somewhat obvious reasons, I am super behind on my blog entries. I typically try to post entries in a chronological order however, the birth of Jonathan is an exception to the rule.  So, here I will give the story of Jonathan's birth.  And then in a subsequent post I will discuss the other life changing events that are occurring here and that we firmed up just prior to Jonathan's birth.  (Side note: Blog pictures - some are posted sideways and I can't seem to figure out why my computer won't let me rotate them)

With regard to the story of Jonathan's birth I do plan to discuss some of my labor story.  Why???? might ask.  Well, this blog is just as much a diary of time (which I often refer back to) for my life as it is a means to share news and day-to-day adventures with my family and friends.  So, consider yourself pre-warned.  If you are not interested in that aspect, feel free to skim past those details.

Prior to labor, I had tons of questions to my female friends and family that had gone through the childbirth experience.  I remember asking questions about how much fluid is release when one's water breaks.  I think my biggest fear was being in the grocery store and needing a "Clean-up in aisle 9!"  My sister, Marysia, had told me that she *heard* her water break.  She told me that it sounded like a little "pop".  Despite never experiencing this, I thought for sure that Marysia was imagining things.

Statue at entrance to Sister's Hospital.  We called it the "Whoa, Whoa Jesus" statue because it looks as though he is saying, "Whoa! Whoa! All visitors must check in at the front desk"!
Approximately 5am on July 30th (3 weeks prior to my due date) I awoke to go potty.  Certainly, not an unusual occurrence for a woman who is 9 months pregnant.  I crawled back into bed, laid on my left side and began to settle in when I heard a "pop".  The "pop" was really more like a "twang", similar to the sound of strumming on a very tight rubber band.  When I heard that, my eyes popped open like a deer in the headlights as I remembered what Marysia said about hearing her water break.  So, there I laid, waiting.....and nothing.  After about 30 minutes, I figured that I was just letting my imagination get the best of me.  I rolled over to my right side and just began dozing off when I heard that "twang" again.  My eyes shot open once more and I waited for something.  I wasn't sure what, but I waited.  After about 5 minutes I began to feel a small trickle like a woman might feel when her period starts.  With that initial sensation I jolted out of bed, nudged David on the way out, and ran to the bathroom and sat on the toilet.  Whewwwww.....just in time!  By the time David made it into the bathroom he asked, "Is that you peeing"?  "No" I responded, "My water just broke". And I sat there on the toilet while David stood there watching me, both of us with dumbfounded looks on our faces as we tried to mentally register the fact that would most likely have the baby some time that day.  A few minutes passed and I went to get off the potty and another gush came. All I could think of was I was so glad this happened at home.

Waiting for contractions to start.
So, my water broke but no contractions.  I knew that meant that even if contractions didn't start, they would induce me.  Therefore, I knew that I would have the baby that day.  I told David I had to call the doctors.  My cute husband told me that my sister, Marysia, said that it could take a week after my water broke before I went into labor....I had to inform him that she never said that and that she was referring to loosing the "mucus plug" which I don't recall loosing, but...whatever.  He kept trying to tell me that it could take a week.  Finally, I said to him - "DAVID, we are having the baby TODAY".  Too funny....soooo cute!  But still, it took him several moments to have the "Are you sure about this??" look off of his face.  Despite having my water break three weeks early, walking around the house with a towel in between my legs while I packed my hospital bag and an overnight bag for Madeline (My friend Tammy watched her), I remained amazingly calm.

It's a boy! Jonathan David

7 pounds 7.5 ounces
Comedy of errors. We waited at home for Tammy to come over. As we were leaving for the hospital David tells me that we have to stop for gas. I thought he was joking.  I get in the car and sure enough the gas light was on.  However, the "miles to empty" said 40 miles to go and we made the trip into Buffalo with low gas.  Also, we got on the highway and there was new construction with a traffic detour.  What?!?!...are you kidding me??  We got to the hospital and went straight to the labor & delivery area of the about a surreal feeling!

Mama right after surgery....not allowed to hold the baby yet

David holding Jonathan

My little dude
meds and so finally (David was still gone) I asked if it was too early for an epidural.  The nurses examined me and I was only 3cm.....WTF?!?! I would've thought that I was a lot further along than that!  Funny, but I felt disappointed in myself that I didn't hang tough longer.  Oh well, I got over that thought quickly.  They put in a call for the anesthesiologist to give me an epidural and that period of time seemed like an eternity (all though in reality the time span probably wasn't that long).  However, during that time it seemed as though  the contractions came so quickly (David was still gone and by now I was clutching the bed rails with each contraction)  While I waited the nurses would have to come in to check on me or do this or that.  Back to the "Quiet while Amy is in pain" thing.....I can't even tell you how many people I SHUSHED that day.  Nurses, midwifes, the anesthesiologist - you name it I shushed them.  Of course, I shushed them only during a contraction and then apologized afterward as I explained my need for quiet while in pain.  Once the epidural was administered but before it took effect, I was examined again and was at 6cm.  Wow....a lot of progress in a short period of time.  Once the epidural took effect, I was a happy camper.  I dozed off, David read me magazines, I talked on the phone and played on Facebook as I waited.  My only question then became, why on Earth would someone NOT want an epidural?!

In recovery room - I look as though I just got hit by a truck, but I am happy to be holding Jonathan for the first time.
Madeline meeting her little brother for the first time
Memory of time at this point has become foggy.  It was probably about 7:30 pm when I was the full 10cm but they had me wait to start pushing.  At about 8pm, I began pushing however Jonathan was facing the wrong way.  He was not breech but rather face up instead of face down.  The doctor would try to turn Jonathan as I pushed but he wasn't having any part of turning.  So I pushed and pushed for 2.5 hours.  Finally, it was evident that the baby was not going to budge. He was stuck and so at 10:30 it was decided that I would have a cesarean.  As they wheeled me to the operating room I told David (in a joking manner), "Ummmm.....just so you know, we are never having sex again".

Surprise visit from Uncle Paul
At 10:48pm, Jonathan was born.  The sound of his cry was the most beautiful sound in the world.  With a cesarean, the nurses take the baby and clean him up right away.  It was so difficult to know that I just had a baby, hear him crying, but not be able to see him or hold him.  David was able to see him and hold him right away but I was not able to hold him until the recovery room.  I just got a quick peek at my little guy.

The rest of that evening was a blur.  After being up since 5am, going thru labor/cesarean I could hardly keep my eyes open in the recovery room.  I was able to try to breast feed in recovery while we waited for my hospital room to be ready for me.  It was about 2am before I got to the room.

Jonathan with his Aunt Marysia
The nurses at Sisters Hospital were awesome.  My stay at the hospital was as enjoyable as a hospital stay could be.  Sure, I was exhausted from recovering and getting used to feeding during the night, however I really did enjoy my stay.
A visit from Mary, Kym & Cecilia
During my stay at the hospital, I also enjoyed my visitors.  The absolute BEST was my brother, Paul and  his family surprised me!!  For those who do not know, Paul lives in Kentucky.  His daughter, Rachel, was at that time preparing to move from Pittsburgh to NYC.  Paul and his wife, Penny, were in Pittsburgh helping Rachel with transporting her pets when they read on Facebook that I was in labor.  They (Paul, Penny, Rachel & Rachel's boyfriend Garrett) decided to drive the 4 hour trip to Buffalo to visit me and meet Jonathan!  Talk about complete surprise and a touching show of love.  I just feel terrible that they could only stay for such a short time and I was still somewhat "out of it".  I also received visits from my sister, Marysia, from Baltimore who came into Buffalo and stayed with us for a week to help me and David once we returned from the hospital.  Also, my friends Tammy, Kelly, Jen E. and my MOMS Club friends - Kym, Mary & Cecilia.  visited(ugh....I hope I am not missing any other hospital visitors!)

HIGH FIVE! We're going home!

Jonathan coming home in Buffalo Sabres hockey fan gear

Home at last!
Jonathan was supposed to come home on Wednesday. However Jonathan became jaundice and had to spend an additional night in the hospital.  I was discharged on Wednesday but I was able to stay the additional night in an open suite in the NICU so that I could breast feed throughout the night (Jonathan was never in NICU that is just where the suite was) I looked on the positive which was, that day (Wed 8/3) was gray and rainy.  Before I knew that Jonathan had to spend an extra day in the hospital, I was disappointed that the homecoming day would be a dreary one.  As it turned out, with him staying an extra day, his actual homecoming day (Thurs 8/4) was a beautiful sunny day.

Madeline giving her little brother some love

Everyone is super tired with the adjustments
I was super blessed to have the helping hands of my sisters and friends upon returning home from the hospital.  For the first week, Marysia worked her tail off helping us out with Madeline, the baby, household stuff, grocery shopping and tons of other items pertaining to some other big things going on in our life (will discuss in a separate post).  The day Marysia left, my other sister, Margaret, and her daughter, Kate, came to town for a week to help some more.  Margaret worked her tail off too and Kate was put to work by being Madeline's playmate during this time of chaos in which David and I had our attention to Madeline slightly distracted.  Also, my MOMS Club friends stepped in with scheduling a few meal drop offs.....yum!

Jonathan with Aunt Margaret and cousin Kate
Madeline has been a great big sister.  She is a huge help to me and is such a loving sister.  I look forward to the day (and I am sure Madeline is too) that Jonathan is big enough for the two of them to play together.  It is fun to watch the dynamics of our family evolve during all of this.

Aunt Marysia holding Jonathan during his baptism
Big Jon and little Jon - Jonathan with "Uncle" Jon
I will end this post with a couple Baptism pictures.  Jonathan was baptized at our parish on Sunday, 9/4.  The godparents are my sister, Marysia, and her husband, Mike who traveled to Buffalo, from Baltimore, for the occasion.  And even our friend "Uncle" Jon was in town from New Orleans.
At the baptismal font with godparents Uncle Mike & Aunt Marysia and Mama & Papa

And now, the "Adventures of Mama- Dirtyfoot" a Mama to two.

No comments: