Monday, September 26, 2011

My Heart Will Go On (despite my kicking & screaming)

We are on our way to our new city with a 3 night visit in Michigan City, Indiana first to visit with David's parents.  This will be the first time they will see Jonathan!  Pulling out of town was so strange.  Knowing that we were going to the in-laws first, the departure almost felt no different than a family vacation.  Yet, simultaneously, I knew that there was so much more to this departure.  Yes, I am excited about exploring our new city yet, this does not negate the fact that leaving my hometown is quite sad.  Prior to our final departure, David and I did a "Goodbye driving tour".  I thought I would share some photos of places that have meant something to me in Buffalo.  Keep in mind, however, that some of the places in these pictures look VERY different than when they were a part of my life.  Neighborhoods of my past have changed and, in many situations, have deteriorated since they were part of my stomping grounds.  Nonetheless, I felt it necessary to drive past each and every one of them.  Here, you can say that final goodbye *with* me......but stay tuned for photos of the journey AND our new city too.  (Also, keep in mind that some of my photos below are sideways and I can't figure out why my computer will not allow me to rotate them.)

My childhood home
Key Bank branch where David & I met. I was a commercial teller and he was my customer

St. Gerard's - my childhood church parish. Also, attended this parish's school from kindergarten - 6th grade

Buffalo State College Student Union - At 18, met my friend Tammy at Buff State.  Also at 18, hung out with my guy friends there too. As an adult, grabbed a meal there between my work & and evening classes

Delaware Park Rose Garden - Where David & I got married

Previously where David & Jon where roommates but when Jon moved to New Orleans, David and I lived in the (upper) apartment

My high school, Holy Angels Academy

My grandma would be rolling in her grave at how her house looks......but, this was my Grandma & Grandpa Odziemiec's house

This was my mom & dad's house 1988 - 2007

Grandma Mazur would not be happy about how her house looks either

Our first house together 1998 - 2009

Said bye to Mom & Dad too

Niagara University - where I got my teaching certification & master's degree

When we were at the cemetary, Madeline was picking dandalions and placing them on my Grandma & Grandpa's grave (Sad....I don't know where my paternal grandparents are buried)

St. Lawrence School - Grades 7 & 8

Tim Horton's....yum!  AND...they were building THIS one right around the corner from my house & I won't be there to see it open!!



Wegman's!!!!  If you don't understand WHY I would be mourning a grocery store, you have obviously never been to a Wegmans!
Our most recent "Home Sweet Home" , 2009 - 2011

1 comment:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

What wonderful memories Amy!

Someday your children will have the same wonderful memories about their new home. :)