Monday, April 23, 2012

Me And My Guy

Ready to go. Mama was partial to white flats but Madeline *had to* wear her silver sandals.
The regional council of Madeline's Girl Scout Daisies Troop held a "Me And My Guy" Father-Daughter dance.  The theme of the dance was focusing on the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts, however that is not what interested David and Madeline.  David was happy to spend special one-on-one time with Madeline.  Madeline, girl through and through, loved the idea of going on a "date" with Papa yet enjoyed, at least as much, the preparation for the dance - shopping, primping and dressing fancy.  We tried to make the event a big deal so that the evening was a special event, sharing extra special time with Papa.
Getting her wrist corsage

Madeline and I headed to the store to buy a pretty dress (gotta love JCPenney's new, revamped pricing structure!)  Madeline flipped through the racks like a pro, but the funniest things were her commentaries on the dresses she passed by. "That one is too stripey" "That one is too yellow".  "That one in not appropriate". "That one makes me look like a farmer girl".  Madeline finally settled on a coral dress that had a very subtle sparkle in the net overlay.  She liked it because she thought it looked like a Dancing With the Stars (aka "Sparkly Dancing") dress.  To pay proper honor to her dress Madeline was very excited about the fact that once she was ready, she was able to make a grand entrance into our foyer by descending the foyer's curved staircase - just like the dancers in Dancing With The Stars.

Madeline was thrilled that I let her wear one of my (costume jewlery) bracelets
Madeline and I also prepared her for the dance by primping like any girl would for a dance.  By chance I had in my nail polish collection a color that matched Madeline's dress.  I polished up Madeline's fingers and toes.  Our primping rituals were complete only after I polished nails, we applied some scented Bath & Body Works lotion, curled hair and I even let Madeline wear a very light pink lipstick.  Madeline loved being a girlie-girl and loved taking part of a special event - just her and her papa.  After getting a small wrist corsage from Papa, they were on their way.

Me And My Guy Dance
The dance had a great showing.  Madeline was happy to run into some of her friends there.  Madeline made some new friends at the dance and spent time dancing with a group of girls on the dance floor.  Madeline also shared some floor time with Papa - no small feat!  David did say that, in general, Madeline spent a lot of time on the dance floor doing her own thing.  She didn't care if she was dancing with someone or not.  She did not feel self conscious about going nuts.  That's my girl!!  For those of you that know me well....this video is proof - like mother, like daughter!  You go girl....it doesn't matter who is watching. Seize the moment, dance your heart out and have fun.  After watching this, I think we can all agree that she did.







1 comment:

Rebekah said...

You go, Madeline!! Love your groove! :)