Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rest Peacefully Sweet Angel

Last night, our dear sweet kitty, Packard, passed away. For those of you that know me or have been following my blog, you know the saga of one of our cats, Packard. Yes, she is the one that we previously called "Franken-kitty" after her surgery in April to remove a large lump from her head. We were told by the vet at that time that she believed the growth was pretty aggressive. Packard rebounded nicely and we were able to enjoy her in our lives for another 8 months. However, Packard began losing weight. We knew that this was a grim sign that the cancer was taking its toll on Packard. We kept telling Pack, "Girl, you need to eat a donut!" Unfortunately, with three cats in the house, it was hard to determine exactly how much or little she was actually eating. We began feeding Packard some tuna to try to "bulk her up". Yet, with our travel to Indiana, we certainly couldn't just leave out tons of soft food and tuna because the other two piggy cats would've just eaten it all. We decided that the best option was to take Packard to be boarded in a "kitty condo" at the vets office. We knew that Packard would get all the special care that she needed and that she would be in good hands in case of an emergency. Yet, today, I was called by the vet's and told that Packard passed away during the night. Oh, the emotions that are going through me now......

The question now is, how are we going to break this news to Madeline? We knew that today wasn't an appropriate day as there were Christmas festivities still on tap for the day. We have time to tell her......the question is how?

But in the meantime, I regret not being able to say goodbye to Packard. Yet, now I spend some quiet moments remembering the feel of her fur and the sound of the loud rumble of her purr. I'll miss you Packard! I loved being your kitty-mama for the past 14 years. I love you.....you were a great kitty!

3 comments:

Patti said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry. 14 years was a long time. My thoughts are with you.

Kelly said...

Sorry to hear that Amy!!

Marysia said...

Amy, my heart aches for you and David. As I wipe away my tears I am thinking of what wonderful kitty-parents you are and that Packard had the best life possible with you. Packard was always one of my favorites. So, so sorry.