Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dining Table Warm Fuzzies

So, here I sit..... While Madeline is at school today, I decided to take out piles of paperwork that accumulated since before the move that I need to sort through, do something with, throw away or file. My staging area is the dining room table that my brother helped me move from Gary's house last weekend. If you have been following the blog you know that the dining room was my mom's and therefore was part of my childhood home. It's weird that doing this paperwork is giving me the "warm fuzzies" today. As I shuffle the stacks of paper I picture all the holidays and special occasions that were shared at this table and the fact that my own family will continue this. Also, from a business aspect, this table will be great to manage "works in progress" as I won't have to clear my paper work before dinner time. I can maintain any organization until the next day. My mom also used this table in the same manner. This table was the hub of my father's political campaigns. This table supported sewing patterns as my mom cut them for our graduation dresses. This table carried countless food buffets and numerous communion, grade school, high school & college graduation parties. This table held wedding invitations as my mom addressed them and shower favors as they were created. And as I parked my butt down to work at this table for the first time in my home I was reminded of the many times I sat here to complete my homework as a child and all I could think of was.....Welcome Home, table!

3 comments:

Paul said...

I'm glad the table stayed in the family. I forgot to check, but I think there is some writing engraved on the surface. I think some of us did our homework in ball point pen and didn't have anything between pen and table but a sheet of paper. Perhaps some of it was intentional

Amy said...

Ohhhhhh.......that made mom crazy! I'll have to look for some mathematical equations. (Future "cheat sheets" for Madeline)

Marysia said...

Nice post, Amy. I am so glad that the table found a home within our family. I have the china cabinet and the captain's chair to the set. Maybe we can negotiate;-D