Friday, September 25, 2009

Travel Update

I didn't blog yesterday because the day was spent either packing/getting ready to travel or actually driving. Here is my update for both David's and my adventures...

On Thursday morning, David called me at approx. 9:30am and it was obvious that he was drinking. How bizarre.....I was just waking up. Yet, keep in mind that as I was starting my day, David was ending his. Why am I telling you this??? It is part of David's Chinese experience. Basically, the first thing David said to me was "Damn, those Chinese can drink!" This all came about because David was at a banquet in his honor because he was visiting the city. In China, the business culture focuses first on relationships even before business is conducted. It is also looked very favorably if you can drink with the officials, in fact it would be considered rude if you refused a drink. So, they brought out the Chinese "wine" that was 100 proof (50% alcohol) and the Chinese started toasting everyone and everything under the sun. This all took place in Tian Jin ("small city" of 11 million outside of Beijing). To and from Tian Jin David took a bullet train that got him to the city in 30 minutes at 190MPH!! The photo above is of Marco Polo Square in Tian Jin. One other impression of Beijing is that although the city's street scape itself is very clean, the air pollution is TERRIBLE. If you notice the pictures look as though the days are overcast (particularly the photo in yesterday's post that was taken in Beijing), they are not. The smog is just that dense. You can't even really see the sun and you end up smelling like you've been in a nicotine room all day. The following day (as I slept last night) David was in meetings all day and then headed to the airport to fly from Beijing to another city (can't remember the name of it) Lucky for him, he hasn't had to deal with "government lady" for the majority of the trip and, if I am not mistaken, they may have already finished their leg of the trip and went home (maybe??)

As for me, I was busy all Thursday morning getting ready for our trip while Madeline was at school. We hit the road right after picking Madeline up from school at 1pm. The first part of the trip went great. Although, Madeline and I weren't even out of New York State before I needed to stop for a Tim Horton's coffee (I was sleepy). We traveled onto Mansfield, Ohio and stopped at a Cracker Barrel for dinner. The girlie-girl that Madeline is thought that it was so cool that there was a gift store at the restaurant. At the restaurant I had a "mom moment" and realized that Madeline was able to color within the lines. Just a few days before she was scribbling. This progress seemed to happen over night. I was so happy I had to take a picture of what she was doing. The second leg of the trip was pretty darn crappy. I was still 2 hours away from my sister's and it was getting dark and raining. But, alas, we made it in one piece. Madeline fell asleep during the last 45 minutes or so of the trip. After transferring her to bed, Margaret and I just sat up to chit chat for a while. Yet, since the trip took it out of me, we weren't up long.

In the morning, Madeline awoke early (whhhhaaaaah!) and it seemed like her cold (which was almost gone when we left) was bothering her again. Margaret, Madeline and I attempted a shopping trip but Madeline was being quite difficult (due to cold and tired) so our excursion didn't last long. After a bite to eat (yuuuuummmmmyyyyy salad called "thirsty goat"...liked the name) we headed back for naps. If you know Madeline, you know she just plain old doesn't nap; however, today she is!!!! Just goes to show you that she was tuckered. With Madeline still snoozing, I am blogging, wrapped in my sister's Snuggie, drinking tea and looking forward to an evening of visiting here at Margaret's. 'Til tomorrow.....

3 comments:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

What a wild trip David is having.

Glad to hear you are having a great time at your sisters.

Craig and Phyllis said...

Where are you at? We are in Columbus about 30 minutes south of Mansfield!

Hope you get some R&R during your trip!

Amy said...

Phyllis, I am in Beavercreek which is 10 minutes east of Dayton.