Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Opposite Sides Of Earth :-(

So here we are, David and I, complete opposite sides of Earth. David called me at about 2:30am to let me know that he arrived but didn't talk much about his trip because his travel companions were around but he told me he would call when he got to his hotel room. His next call was at 4am. David confirmed that, yes, the government lady was quite annoying but overall the flight wasn't too bad. He basically said that you knew what you were in for (14 hours) when you got on the plane.

Although it was 4am here in Buffalo, it was 4pm the next day in China. Lucky for David, the business person that he was supposed to meet late that evening (like, 10pm) after their arrival in Beijing had to be rescheduled to a breakfast meeting the next morning because the other person's flight was delayed. This gave David some time to see a little bit (he won't have a chance to see much the rest of the trip) and also get to bed at a decent time to try to catch up on sleep and get himself on Beijing's time zone.

The picture above is a picture of the Mandarin Gate of the Forbidden City. David laughed at the thought of what how Madeline would react if she were there. She would flip out, wanting to see Mulan (Disney Princess - big scene in movie here). Unfortunately, David wasn't able to get into the Forbidden City because it closed earlier (truly forbidden...hahaha). David did, however get to see Tienanmen Square. Also, his other impression, so far, of Beijing was that it was nice and also very clean and extremely easy to get around (although David was born with a GPS unit in his brain - an amazing sense of direction)

When I woke up at 8:30am, I called David. (Luckily his cell phone works there!! Unfortunate for David, since China is Communist, he has limited Internet access. He can't get on Facebook or read my blog.) Anyway, at 8:30am this morning, David was back at the hotel. Since his evening meeting was canceled he opted to re-group, order room service (can you believe that I forgot to ask what he ate?!?!?) and go to bed at a reasonable time. It was hard for me to comprehend that David left the house here early yesterday morning, I went to bed for a full night's sleep, and David was just starting to settle in for the night at *my* 10am.....although for him it was 10pm. So, as David slept, Madeline and I went about our daily activities.....again, weird to think that for him it was the middle of the night.

Today, Madeline and I had a nice afternoon together. Yesterday, I tried to adjust the Ph level of the hot tub and adjusted it too much so now it was off in the other direction. I decided to take a water sample to the pool store for them to test and advise.....easy fix! While I was in the area of the pool store, Madeline and I went to a nearby mall for a bite to eat. After grabbing Subway, Madeline was able to run around like a monkey with some other kids in the mall's play area. The mall also has a carousel and Madeline was a happy camper to be riding on the kitty cat. After our lunch/play time at the mall we headed out to Target to pick up a few things for our road trip to Margaret's and then we went to clean the car out. My car was in a desperate need of a "shake-out" and vacuum. I think there was a year's worth of Cheerios, Goldfish crackers and french fries in there.

The rest of the evening should be quiet. Just need to pack us up for our trip. As Mama's and Madeline's day starts to wind down, David will be waking up to start his Thursday.

1 comment:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Hope you have a great time on your trip! Sounds like a wonderful mommy & me day!