Friday, January 16, 2009

Big Bird In For Questioning

"Uncle" Jon is here. Okay, for those of you that do not know who Jon is, he is David's best friend. They met as co-workers when David first moved to Buffalo, eventually they were roommates and for a short transitional period, the three of us lived together as I was moving in with David but before Jon moved to New Orleans. Jon was also the best man at our wedding. Jon is really more like a brother to David and he has brotherly status with me too.

Madeline was pleased with Uncle Jon's arrival too. Jon arrived around 1pm and for the few hours in the afternoon before David came home from work, Madeline made Jon quite familiar with her music. After at least 4 times through her favorite CD, I am sure Jon will be singing "Wheels On The Bus" in his sleep.

Diet-wise.....it won't be a good weekend. I already made a gut-busting dinner - breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, applesauce & broccoli (not to mention the pecan bars with Cafe Latte a la mode for dessert) and some wine too. Thank God I saved up my "Flex Points" for the weekend so I have a little leeway.

We are pleased to have Jon visiting although Jon was not happy about flying here this morning. Let's just say that Jon isn't exactly thrilled with flying - add to the equation the "Miracle on the Hudson" episode yesterday. Luckily Jon has a sense of humor (as warped as David's and mine) that helped to squelch his fears. Below is a conversation with Jon yesterday through email (subject heading: Airplanes).....only Jon!

Jon: OK, these things are landing in rivers now, I may rethink my trip tomorrow.....

MDF: Don't worry. Most of our rivers are frozen over now.

Jon: It hit a fn bird!!!!! They call it a ''bird strike'' like the bird's trying to take it down. What if they are, what if this emboldens them? If I get to the airport tomorrow and see some pigeons hanging out on the power lines, I'm bailing.
At least they ruled out terrorism, so we know there aren't sleeper cells hanging around airports throwing geese at at planes.

No comments: