Monday, December 1, 2008

Corrective Shoes

Today as I was puttering around the house Madeline dug out a pair of shoes from under her bed and put them on. She ended up putting them on the wrong feet. This made me giggle to myself as her shoes triggered a funny memory.

A few weeks after we brought Madeline home from Russia we attended my friend, Tammy's, daughter's birthday party. Tammy's family was very anxious for us to arrive as they were excited about meeting Madeline. I don't remember the logistics of how this came to be (I think maybe my family was in town helping to empty out my mom's house) but for some reason David and I traveled separately to the party. I arrived first and new-dad David came later with Madeline. As a new dad, he was proud of his accomplishment of getting Madeline packed and ready for an afternoon excursion. Madeline arrived and everyone was happy to meet our new daughter. As Madeline ran around, I answered lots of questions about Madeline and our travel to Russia. Tammy's mother-in-law, a very sweet lady, asked in a concerned manner about Madeline's shoes and asked if they were "corrective shoes". Corrective shoes??? I knew she was wearing regular, run-of-the-mill sandals. Wondering what she was referring to, I looked down at Madeline's feet and I realized that David dressed her with the shoes on the wrong feet. Yep, the whole party got a good chuckle out of that.....poor David :-)

No comments: