Thursday, October 30, 2008

Check Your Boobies

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Although it is approaching the end of the month, it is never too late to get the word out. My aunt died of breast cancer. Consequently, my mother would always remind me and my sisters to get screened. Reminding us to do self-exams and get mammograms, my mother would seriously remind us, yet in a fun-loving manner, by saying "Check your boobies".

Jen, a friend and former teaching co-worker of mine had a piece she had written published in the Buffalo News (click here to read it). Her writing is very inspirational. Jen tells of her own breast cancer journey and wonderful blessing of early detection. So for Jen, I am doing what she asked in her writing, to "tell your mothers, sisters, co-workers and friends my story. "

By the way I am getting my "boobies checked" on November 13th. When is your appointment?



No comments: