Monday, October 20, 2008

Foodie's Anonymous

More and more I am realizing that I am a foodie. What is a foodie? As defined on UrbanDiner, a foodie is
"a person who is very very very interested in food. Foodies are the ones interested in food in any gathering – salivating over restaurants, recipes and radicchio."
My mother was the greatest of all foodies and I either inherited this trait from her or maybe it is just simply a dominant trait of the Polish heritage.

So as I sit here further reminiscing about the Behemoth girls getaway, what does my mind get stuck on? The food - in particular, the french fries! My brothers' blog often refers to the "best (fill in the blank) of the universe". I would have to say that this weekend, I experienced the best french fries of the universe at one of the park's "Hot Potato Fresh Cut Fries" stands. Maybe it was the fact that the weather was chilly and the warm fries with gravy hit the spot. But no, it was more than that! I could pretty much say I experienced a love affair with them. The fries had the perfect texture. They were certainly not soggy fries. Even the gravy didn't turn them soggy. They were perfectly crisp. The brown gravy added flavor and the perfect amount of salt. All of this from an amusement park's concession stand. I told Tammy and Kelly that I would buy a season's pass to Canada's Wonderland just for the fries.

But aside from the mouth watering memory, I recalled a sign at the concession stand that advertised that they sold poutine. What is that? I know I heard of that before but I couldn't remember. No, no, no, I was not getting it confused with the slang word "pootang". Come to find out, the reason poutine sounded familiar to me is because it is a French-Canadian dish that originated in Quebec, Canada. (David and I spent some of our honeymoon in Quebec City and returned to the city a few times since, thus the reason for the familiarity of this word. We did not try poutine, however). Wikipedia defines poutine as,
"a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown gravy and sometimes additional ingredients. The freshness of the curds is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential Canadian comfort food, especially, yet not exclusively among Québécois and Maritime Acadian Canadians."
Ugh....no thanks! Cheese curd on fries sound slimy. The consistency of snot? I think I am glad that I stuck with what I ordered, the fries with gravy only.

So it is decided! Yep, I'm a foodie. Anyone that can write this much about french fries definitely has issues! Yes, that's right, I am a foodie. I am indeed my mother's daughter!

No comments: