Saturday, October 11, 2008

Coloring Book Art

On numerous occasions I have had Madeline color a picture to mail in a card to Grandma & Grandpa or other family. I feel this is a personal expression of love that if fitting from an almost 3 year old. Sometimes Madeline will create a masterpiece for Papa and he will either take the artwork to work or we will display it proudly on the refrigerator. Also, while teaching, students would offer me their own creations as a gift to me. They were so proud of their work and themselves as I praised their creativity and beautiful masterpiece. I believe their confidence in their abilities grew, if only just a little bit, when I showed my appreciation by gladly hanging their gift in a place of honor near my desk. Each month I had a wall of gifts that I had to "file away for safekeeping" in order to make room for new gifts.

As I sat and colored with Madeline the other day I wondered at what point in time does one loose the joy of giving a picture they colored from a coloring book. At what time is the giving and receiving of these simple pleasures lost? I am sure you would think that an older family member lost their wits if they sent you a coloring book creation in the mail with nothing material attached to its greeting. How much of ourselves we would give by doing this as an adult - such a simplistic gift of ourselves. Are you up for the challenge?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Matthew 18:

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."


I've always like that passage. The simplicity of childhood is something to always strive for.

PS: Thanks for the Christmas gift idea.

Amy said...

What a fitting verse. I liked your post script too!