Sunday, October 26, 2008

Child Infidelity

This evening, David, Madeline and I carved pumpkins. We had a great time. Madeline was very interested in what we were doing. We took a bunch of pictures and some video of the occasion. My intention tonight was to post some of these photos but for some reason I am having a hard time transferring them onto the computer from my digital camera. (@%*!#) So instead, I am back to my cell phone camera to offer you a glimpse into our lives.

After removing the guts out of our pumpkins, I knew that I wanted to roast the seeds. Why? Because that is something I remember my mom always did when I was a child. I was always so filled with anticipation waiting for those seeds to come out. Every year, I would scoop some into my mouth and every year I would wonder what the fuss was all about. Nevertheless, the thrill of the tradition sticks with me today. In wanting to give similar memories to Madeline I committed myself to roasting them. Instead of simply plopping the seeds in the oven with salt, I decided to try to make something a bit more appetizing than the snacks that always ended up being disappointing to me. I got online and searched for some ideas. I decided on basting them with a mixture of melted butter, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. The problem is that in changing up the tradition set forth by my mom, I felt that I was somehow unfaithful to her. What bizarre thoughts go through your mind after the loss of a parent.

Despite my feelings of guilt, I enjoyed wonderful aromas wafting through the air as I waited for the fall spiced seeds to toast. Yet, just as when I was a child, I was greatly disappointed. I guess I just don't get the attraction. Regardless, next year, I am sure I will commit myself to this ritual and as thus commit myself to that same internal struggle of doing it as Mom used to or trying something new. (Sorry, Mom)

No comments: