Thursday, October 9, 2008

Writer's Block

How pathetic am I? I create a blog, make two posts and already have writers block? I get so inspired reading other blogs. They are simply the everyday ins and outs of the other authors' lives. They give me comfort to know that others are having the same joys and hurdles, the same heart-warming moments and the same "Oh my gosh, I think I sprung 10 gray hairs today" days. The other authors don't debate politics or solve world problems through their discussions, yet to me I look forward to seeing what's new with my new anonymous friends. I take comfort in the similarities between our lives despite the fact that we've never met, live in various parts of the country and in some cases they may not even be aware that I am following their stories.

So why am I so stuck on deciding what to post about? Maybe it's because the other blogs I follow are families in the process of adoptions and our adoption journey ended over a year ago. Maybe it's because I haven't clearly defined the purpose of my blog in my head before creating it. Should there really be another "I'm the Greatest Mom On the Planet" Blog floating around on the Internet? Do I want to be a hormonal femme blasting hot air through the keyboard- you know, the blogs that you can tell exactly where the author is in her menstrual cycle based on the post? And as far as political blogs go, my siblings have left a bad taste in my mouth over those!

I guess the issue is, other than my husband, I haven't even told anyone about my blogging. So, maybe I have a block because I feel that no one is reading what I post. Does anyone even care what I have to say? But why haven't I told anyone? Maybe I just feel that if I told others of my blogging there would be more pressure to post. And maybe, just maybe, I would open myself up to criticism? Hmmmm.....and what if even my family and/or friends didn't even follow my random ramblings? Whoa!! Talk about psycho-analysis! Something for me to sleep on tonight....

5 comments:

Patti said...

Amy, your blog has me smiling and laughing! (You should see my feet - if I was really brave I would take a picture of them and send it to you - HA!) I am reading and I do care about what you have to say. So don't throw in the towel because of a case of writer's block. We're not there yet with potty training either. I'm too tired to push it right now. Can't wait to hear more from you! I'm so glad you started a blog!

oldbuffalo said...

don't worry about writer's block...just have another beer and the words will be flowing

Anonymous said...

I am the king of writer's block. I get castigated frequently at your brothers' blog because I am the least frequent poster. The two main reasons I post so infrequently is that I am very busy and any thought or comment I may want to share, I feel has already been said. BUT, I know (but don't act on it) that most things can be said more than once and that second, third or hundredth comment on the same subject can shed some useful light on that subject. So buck up sis and write away. I look forward to reading your day to day thoughts and adventures. It will be like we live in the same town again.

Anonymous said...

Amy, when you find a cure for writer's block, pass it along to Paul and Chris. You're doing fine, by the way...

Amy said...

Thanks, Marty! I have become blog obsessed.