Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This Date In History 6/23/07 - Our Adoption Story

MY RUSSIAN BIRTHDAY - Two years ago I spent my 37th birthday in Russia. Below are the details...

Saturday June 23, 2007
Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me!!!! This morning at 7:40 am, David’s parents called to wish me a Happy Birthday. It was odd to think that it was still the night of the 22nd for them. (They live in the central time zone – 9 hrs. difference for them)
While waiting in front of the hotel for our ride this morning, one of the hotel staff asked us to please return inside the hotel. There, 3 of the staff were greeting me with balloons and champagne. They read to me a fairly long birthday greeting *in English* wishing me a very happy birthday even though we were so far from home. What a wiener…..I cried.

We got to visit Madeline twice today. She is continuing to do well and it is getting more and more difficult in between visits as she is bonding nicely to us and vice versa. David and I shared a nice birthday dinner with Karen and Huibert. We went to the Kpem (pronounce Crème) Café. We ate there for our anniversary and one other time while here this trip. There are not many choices of restaurants that have recognizable food at a fair price. David and I also split a dessert and David decided to try something new and ordered us Eastern Coffee. I don’t know exactly what was put in front of us but you could practically stand your spoon up in the coffee, I couldn’t drink it but I think that David will be awake until next week Tuesday.

Sorry for the short update today but all is going well. Also, thank you for the many birthday emails. I probably won’t be able to respond to too many of them until tomorrow as we are going out for a cocktail to toast my old age.

Amy and David

No comments: